Armour thyroid and Synthroid are the two medicines used to treat hypothyroidism, under-active thyroid. We are going to find out which among the two is better for the treatment of hypothyroidism.
If you are taking medicines at the time, eating properly, taking sufficient rest and still suffering, you might wonder if your thyroid medication is proper or not. It’s a valid thought process and therefore we are posting which among armour thyroid and Synthroid is better to treat hypothyroidism.
The most frequent question asked by a patient suffering from hypothyroidism is, “what is the difference between armour thyroid and Synthroid, which is more effective.” Even though both medicines are meant to replace the thyroid secreted hormones, they are different substantially.
What is Hypothyroidism and how is it treated?
Hypothyroidism means underactive thyroid gland. The basic function of the thyroid gland is to secrete thyroxine (T4) and triiodothyronine (T3). The thyroid gland is stimulated by the Thyroid-stimulating hormone, produced by the hypothalamus. Hypothyroidism is most importantly measured by the amount of TSH secretion in the body.
The two most famous medications for hypothyroidism include Armour Thyroid and Synthroid. But which among them is better for treatment exactly and how can it be proved? Let’s compare and find it out.
Synthroid is a Hypothyroidism medication which uses synthetic medicine. Named as levothyroxine sodium, it ought to be the most prescribed medication. It comes in a pill form. Initially, it is the T4 synthetic hormone which is later converted into active T3 form by the body itself.
Armour thyroid is a non-synthetic medication. It contains desiccated Thyroid extracts. Usually, it is made of dried and powdered Thyroid, from pigs. It has both T4 and T3 hormones in a ratio of 80:20. Because of this mixture, most doctors are switching to a synthetic form of treatment.
Difference between Armour thyroid and Synthroid
- Synthroid is a synthetic hormone identical to human’s T4 hormone. Whereas, armour Thyroid contains Thyroid extracts from pigs. Hence, it is not identical to the human form.
- Armour thyroid is a natural desiccated hormone derived from a pig. On the other hand, Synthroid is prepared in the laboratory.
- Synthroid contains only T4 hormone and armour contains both T4 and T3.
- Synthroid is very unlikely to trigger an autoimmune response in a patient having Hashimoto’s thyroiditis. Thus people with Hashimoto feel comfortable with synthetic medication and not with armoured thyroid.
- Armour thyroid acts a bit faster, unlike Synthroid. On one hand, Synthroid takes around 4 weeks to show any change in your lab report whereas armour alters your lab report in 2 weeks.
Armour Thyroid vs Synthroid: Which is better for the treatment of Hypothyroidism
While both the medications are equally good and effective, the number of factors determine which one suits you. There is nothing such as which among Synthroid and Armour Thyroid is better. Both are equally good, the only factor is that which one suits you.
Every person is unique and has different body sensitiveness level. Like people with thyroiditis find it difficult to use Armour Thyroid. Thus, there are various factors like,
- Health condition
- History of heart
- Severity of symptoms
- Autoimmune sensitivity
- Morning basal body temperature
All these factors play an important role in determining which hypothyroidism medication is better for you. Most doctors prefer Synthroid over armour thyroid, the only reason being that it is identical to the human T4 hormone.
If you are taking medicine and still suffering then the most probable reason is adrenal. The adrenal glands need to function properly as well because it goes simultaneously with the thyroid gland.