Pleural Mesothelioma is one of the most deadly diseases. Therefore we are spreading awareness about Pleural Mesothelioma by posting it’s causes, symptoms and treatment ways. It is actually a type of cancer in the lining of the lung’s protective cells.
Mesothelioma develops in the lungs when asbestos fibers are inhaled and lodge into the lining of lung’s (pleura). The average life expectancy of a patient suffering from this type of cancer is just 12 to 21 months. Therefore you should take precautions and most importantly know the symptoms of pleural mesothelioma in the early stage.
Causes Of Pleural Mesothelioma
- Most importantly the cause of pleural mesothelioma as of now is the accumulation of asbestos fibers in the lungs. They are a very old kind of fiber which mostly was used in household items and in Business works before the 1980s. The use of asbestos has been completely minimized by the government nowadays.
- Genetic factors can also be a reason which influences mesothelioma. Although it hasn’t been proven yet. Asbestos is sharp fibers which can get stuck in the pleura both inner and outer. Inability to expelling the fibers cause immense damage to the pleural. Inflammation, swelling, and permanent damage can be a consequence of this.
- Failure to receive the signal and stop dividing causes uncontrolled multiplication of cells. Cancer is the uncontrolled division of the cells. Most importantly the central location of pleura influences the rapid spreading of the disease.
Stages of Pleural Mesothelioma
Pleural Mesothelioma Stages:
- 1st Stage – The cancer is located only in the pleural lining of the lungs.
- 2nd Stage – cancer has spread to more part of lung, diaphragm and lymph nodes.
- 3rdStage – cancer has metastasized the nearby organs and lymph nodes
- 4th Stage – Cancer has spread to all nearby organs and all lymph nodes are involved.
Symptoms Of Pleural Mesothelioma
Patients suffering from this disease may often fall ill. Besides these Short breath, persistent coughing, and the onset of fever are early symptoms. Most importantly the symptoms include,
- Lower back Pain
- Sudden weight loss
- Short breath
- Pain in chest
- Inflammation of chest area
- Swelling of face and arms
- Fever and sweating
- dry cough
- Fluid buildup and expelling of mucous at intervals
- Tissue lumps in the chest
- Coughing up blood.
Diagnosis of Pleural Mesothelioma
The early diagnosis of this disease includes a number of imaging tests. Like CT-scans and X-rays. On the determination of a tumor, the doctor may suggest a biopsy of one lung. A biopsy is testing of the tissue and fluids of the lung to get an accurate scene of what is wrong.
Treatment Of Pleural Mesothelioma
Chemotherapy – Almita and Cisplatin is the best combination of chemotherapic treatment for mesothelioma patients. Almita is the only type of chemotherapy approved by the FDA. There are very limited treatments available for mesothelioma.
Radiation – Amine radiation has a very little scope of treating mesothelioma. With the help of lasers, fluid buildup In Tissues are eased. Last stage patients are given such treatment.
Not every patient gets the same type of treatment for mesothelioma. It widely varies on one’s pain taking ability and many more factors.
In short, it is a test to find out the life expectancy of a patient. Factors playing a role in determining the life expectancy are,
- Cell type
- Stage of cancer
- Overall health
- treatment procedures
pleural mesothelioma can be cured if detected in early stages. Chances of survival in Minimum if the patient is beyond stage 2. The life expectancy of patients after stage two is just 12-21 months. The life in the last stage is very painful, therefore we have listed symptoms and everything you need to know about Pleural Mesothelioma.