Pi Day is celebrated every year on March 14th all around the world. It comes on March 14, or in the month/day date format as 3/14; since 3, 1 and 4 are the three most significant digits of Pi. On March 14 Einstein birthday also celebrated. Pi is a mathematical constant(π). It is a great opportunity for math enthusiasts to know about the infinite digits of Pi. For Math lovers, it is a special day because it is related to maths. Interested people can talk about math and share their knowledge with each other.
Pi Approximation day is celebrated on 22 July, which is an approximate value of Pi. Pi day is observed on March 14 because of the Ancient Greek Mathematician Archimedes who first discovered the approximation of pi as being 3.14.
What is Pi?
Pi (Greek letter “π “) is a mathematical constant – the ratio of the circumference of a circle to its diameter which is approximately 3.14159. Now the pi value is being used in the different area in maths and physics. It is also called Archimedes, constant.
It is an irrational number, π cannot be expressed as a common fraction (it’s decimal representation never ends and never settles into a permanent repeating pattern). You could continue on and on until infinity and we have no idea what digit might emerge next.
π is a transcendental number; that is, it is not the root of any polynomial having rational coefficients. The existence of π states that it is impossible to solve the ancient challenge of squaring the circle with a compass and straightedge.
History of Pi Day
In 1988 the first official or large scale celebration is organized by Larry Shaw at the San Francisco Exploratorium, where Shaw worked as a physicist. They celebrated with the staff members and they marched in public, then consuming fruit pies.
On March 12, 2009, The U.S. House of Representatives passed a non- binding resolution, recognizing March 14, 2009, as National Pi day.
In 2010, Google presented a Google Doodle celebrating the holiday, with the word Google laid over images of circles and pi symbols and for the 30th anniversary in 2018, it was a Dominique Ansel pie with the circumference divided by its diameter.
Here Is How to celebrate?
Activities you can do on Pi Day.
- You can organize activities like eating pie, throwing pies due to the words “Pi” and “Pie” being homophones in English and the circular nature of the pie. sharing ideas and discussing of the number π can be done among the math lovers.
- You can organize Pie baking contest in schools and other private organization or you can wear Pi related shirts or accessories. You can eat”Pi food” just like” Pizza ” and “Pineapple”. These are just examples of food starting with “pi”.
- You can make a Pi Day paper chain by using loops of papers. Each of the 10 digits will have to use a different color.
- You can create Pi day cards and share with your friends or can create short films.
- You can try to make a pie by yourself.
- you can throw a Pi pot luck party tell everyone to bring their family pie recipe on Pi day. Make a playlist that features a song like”I like Pie, I like cake” and “American Pie”.
Pi Links mathematics to the real world.
Pi is one of the things that link math to the real world uses. Pi is linked to circles it is also linked to the cycles. It is used in calculating Natural phenomenon like waves, ebb, and the flow of ocean tides, electromagnetic waves are calculated using Pi.