Manhattan Power Outage Has Been Restored, Governor Calls Outage Unacceptable

Manhattan Power Outage Has Been Restored, Governor Calls Outage Unacceptable

                  New York officials along with Con Edison stated that the power has been fully restored in New York early Sunday after an outage left parts of the city in darkness and has also knocked out lights on Times Square’s giant monitors for hours, along leaving thousands trapped in subway cars and elevators on Saturday evening.

The outage of power was started Saturday evening and the lights were back on soon after midnight, as per to the officials’ statement. This outage has mostly affected midtown Manhattan along with some parts of the Upper West Side. There were also no reports of injuries. Soon after the midnight, Con Ed has confirmed in a message that power had been fully restored.

At the height of the outage, there were about 72,000 customers who were in the dark, utility company Con Edison said. It had assumed this initial number of 73,000 but afterward lowered it on early Sunday. Power was backed on just before 10 pm, it said. Gov. Andrew Cuomo requested people to stay inside their homes till the full restoration being carried out.

“While power has been restored, there are still some traffic signals that are out, so we would not encourage New Yorkers to go out if you don’t have to go out,” he said.

He further added, “The governor said the outage is not an infrastructure issue. “We were lucky tonight.”

Con Ed explained the reason of the outage by saying that a transformer fire in Midtown, at West 64th Street and West End Avenue, has possibly been generated the blackout that spread from the West 40s to 72nd Street, and from 5th Avenue to the Hudson River.

Mayor Bill de Blasio, after this major blackout, said that he has ordered the city agencies to inspect the power failures. He tweeted, ” With the power back on, I’ve directed City agencies to investigate this evening’s blackout. They’ll work with ConEd to get to the bottom of what happened tonight and prevent another widespread outage like this,”

In his early tweet he thanked everyone who worked hard to back up the power in the region, he said, “Power was restored to remaining customers. I want to thank all of our first responders, the men and women of the NYPD, FDNY, and @NYCEmergencyMgt for their hard work tonight — and every New Yorker for responding to the blackout with that trademark NYC grit and toughness.”

Governor Cuomo defined a power outage of this scale as unacceptable and has also said that he’s called for a full investigation into the root. He commended residents for keeping their cool.

Fire-fighters countered to people trapped in elevators, the department said, “This could have been much worse. When you’re talking about a city like New York with a significant piece of the city, basically suffering a blackout, that could be a very chaotic situation. We saw the exact opposite, actually. We saw New Yorkers at their best.”

In the meantime, there have been no injuries that have been reported so far, officials said.

Spread the love

You might like

Carrie Brunner

About the Author: Carrie Brunner