Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup is a knock-out cup competition in American soccer. U.S. Soccer has officially declared the format of the 2019 Lamar Hunt U.S Open Cup. This is going to be the 106th edition of Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup. It is the oldest on-going domestic soccer competition in the United States. Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup was first held during 1913 – 1914. It was initially named as the National Challenge Cup. Brooklyn Field Club was the first club to win the first trophy of the Open Cup. Later in 1999, United States Soccer Federation renamed the tournament to Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup in regards of Major League Soccer owner Lamar Hunt.
On Thursday, U.S. Soccer released the format giving fans a foretaste of what it is going to be in the 2019 U.S. Open Cup. United States Soccer Federation has recorded that 52 teams out of the 84 are professional clubs in this year’s tournament. The format of this year’s tournament is similar to the last one.
Now, let’s know about the matches in brief.
A single round match will be played between two teams that will be hosted by any random team. It will provide a stadium that will meet both clubs’ requirements. The Seattle Sounders will enter the fourth round of play on June 12. Their opponent will be determined through a draw on May 30. It will be done one day after the 3rd round on May 29.
The Sounders U23 would not be in the 10 United Soccer League’s Two teams. The league determined the slots using the last year’s final record. U23 are excluded from the competition as they ended up second after Canadian club Calgary Foothills FC.
Important Dates of The Tournament:
- The fourth qualifying round will be held on April 6th and April 7th, 2019
- First Round draw will be held on April 10, 2019
- Second Round pairings and possible pairings will be announced on April 17, 2019
- First Rounds will be held on May 7th and May 8th, 2019
#Note: Teams from same qualifying pool will not be paired together.
- Second Round will be held on May 14th and May 15th in which there will be playing 19 first round winners and 25 USL Championship clubs
- Third Round will be played on May 29, 2019
- Fourth Round draw will be held on May 30, 2019
- Fourth Round will be played on June 12, 2019, and will be played between 11 third round winners and 21 MLS clubs
Now, the remaining teams will be divided into eight groups that will contain four teams. A draw will determine the pairing of the opponents in each group.
- Five MLS vs. MLS matches will be held
- Round of 16 draws will be held on June 13, 2019
- Round of 16 will be played from June 18, 2019, to June 23, 2019. The rounds will be played between the 16 winners of a fourth round
Quarterfinals will be played on July 10, 2019
Draw for hosting semi-finals and finals will be held on July 11, 2019
Semi-finals will be played on August 7, 2019
Final will be played on August 27, 2019, or August 28, 2019